Wednesday, September 5, 2012

N2 Extreme Gelato - Chinatown North




A change of style for once - a post that is more advertising than review. But what can you do when your stomach's only good for one serving?

N2 Extreme Gelato is the newest craze amongst bored little youngsters like us (I'm 23, but the point's still valid :P) After hearing that one of my friends talking about it, I really insisted that we head over here after dinner at Encasa (Spanish Tapas, see previous post).

Tucked away above Chinatown's north end (not the Market City end) along Dixon St, it's hard to miss this place with the astroturf right outside!



If sitting outside on the astroturf isn't your thing, then walk past the nitrogen tanks into the cosy retro-coloured stools and benches. On the way through, glance to your right - either ogle the staff in their lab coats and Ray-Ban like glasses/goggles, or ogle their funky mixers, freezing another batch of their yummy creations. Oh - and don't forget to glance at the chalkboard - their artistically decorated menu options.






To summarise: I thoroughly enjoyed myself snapping away whilst my friends were ordering, then placing my own order and talking with the guy at the counter. I was surprised: they had only been open for 33 days, making the gelati over and over again... and the staff were just as enthusiastic as if they were newly opened (well, they still were, in a sense)!

Gelato: a (freshly-chilled) scoop will set you back $6, with their board and staff insisting "you won't need a second scoop", and thus no prices for 2-scoops. After my experience, I'm inclined to agree - one scoop is quite filling for a female. Sorry to be sexist, but a guy has a better chance for attacking a second scoop... except for this thought: you don't want to mix and match flavours by yourself in one sitting. You're better off sharing with a friend, or coming back another time to enjoy a second flavour.

Me: I went for an old favourite - Mango sorbet. And simply "wow" - the thickest essence of mango I have ever HAD in a sorbet! For those wanting a natural flavour, then this would be a bit too artificial... but I'm not one to complain.

Other recommendations from my friend - the cheesecake series (blueberry or Oreo) is another "must-try" - I'll be back for more!

N2 Extreme Gelato
43 / 1 Dixon Street
CBD South, 2000

Directions: Get to Chinatown, and start walking. Walk all the to the north end, cross the road, and keep walking up Dixon St.

Open: Can't find the opening hours - just rock up and wait your turn!

Cost: $6 for a scoop. You can also get a Nitro Shake ($8), or T2 tea, or something else to drink whilst quaffing down your delicious scoop of goodness.

PS - there are cones as well, if you're a 'licker' who doesn't want to scoop things from a paper cup with a plastic digger-tool.
N2 Extreme Gelato on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment