Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Laduree Paris (Macarons), Westfield Centrepoint, Sydney




Slightly unusual, but this will be a post written in three parts: one part of shopping, one part photo decorating, and one part devouring!

So it's been a week since Laduree expanded to Down Under, opening up their first Australian franchise in the heart of Sydney inside Centrepoint Westfield. After hearing the raves last week, this is definitely a place I had to go visit at some point... and hopefully avoiding all those queues they reportedly had!

Well, on this fine Tuesday morning, I joined the queue at 9.40am, with around 15 people ahead of me. It took around 10 minutes to move towards the front, then 5 minutes for selections, then I was out of the sector by 10am - not too bad, with all's said and done. There was still a short queue after I left - so the crowd's going strong.

The first thing I noticed after heading up the northern escalators in Westfield Centrepoint is the sector they've carved for themselves - long elegant glass displays showing off their selection, then the (rather out-of-place) queue-marking tape they have in banks and airports. Tucked behind the front counter is the cafe zone, shiny place-sets all laid out in a quiet spot, away from the hustle and bustle of pedestrian shoppers.

I'm going to have to come back here for the cafe experience... maybe as a second surprise for my friend (read on for more!)


Well, of course I would be productive - 10 minutes in a queue is quite a bore, you know! Pulling out my SLR, snappy away at a few objects that caught my eye...

Next thing I knew, folks to either side of me had their iPhones out, snapping away too (I started a trend!). Although... I did spot a Samsung amongst the lot...
Also, I struck up a short chat with the chap in front of me - and learnt that a teenage girl will be getting a sugary birthday treat from Daddy - lucky child!

Now if only someone could spoil me too... anyone?? =)





My turn came... and what to choose! Yikes!

The Eternal Dilemma of the Macaron Minded =(




Well... I somehow (with a bit of assistance) got my selection down pat - and ordered three sets of 8:
One for the Clinic Staff (hello UNSW Optometry Clinic!)
One for a close friend as a surprise, and
One for MEEEE! I'm not walking away from this empty handed with an empty stomach!

Pricing: $3.20 apiece makes these one of the most expensive macarons I've had in Sydney. It is worth it? See below to find out ;)

If you want them in a box, you'll have to order a minimum of 6, else you get the unfortunate paper bag.
The premium gift box (I've seen similar from La Belle Miette, Melbourne CBD) will set you back a pretty $2.40 extra - but it's worth it if you're going that extra mile for someone extra special. My friend and I have an understanding - quality and quantity will make up for the superficialities of life. So I saved the $2.40, and went for long-box of 8 - no surcharges but still setting me back at $25.60 per box.




Here's a side-view of them sitting prettily:

*Salted Caramel: Salted? Really? Hehehe... I did like this one for the caramel flavour - sweet and sticky =)
*Strawberry Marshmellow - I had this one much later than the almond marshmellow, and I changed my mind: certain flavours work better having the plain marshmellow core, and this is one of these.
*Ghana Chocolate (dark) - I had this one first before the normal chocolate... but it didn't amaze me.
*Vanilla - light and simple. Not much in terms of flavour, though.
*Pistachio - nuts! That's all I will say about this one =)
*Orange Blossom - VERY similar to the Vanilla - it was hard for me to distinguish between two white macarons with similar (but subtly different) fillings. A slight floral hint came through on this one... but not by much. Still, liked it for what it is.
*Chocolate - less entertaining than the dark chocolate. Both had a nice texture and taste to the shell, but the ganache was dense and chewy. Not what I was expecting for a chocolate macaron - I'm more into one that melts into chocolatey goodness.
*Almond Marshmellow - well, the nutty flavour definitely came through on this one. Not a ganache in this one though - the filling is actually a plain marshmellow, enhancing the nutty-ness. Enjoyable, but not a favourite - marshmellow in a macaron... what is the world coming to!

Laduree Paris (Cafe and take-away macarons)

Level 3, Westfield Centrepoint
Town Hall, Sydney, 2000

Location: take the northern entry along Pitt St, or enter via any of the Market St entries and walk to the other end. Up the escalator to Level 3, and it's on your immediate left.

Hours: open 9.30am daily Monday to Saturday, 10am Sundays.
Closes as per Westfield hours (5.30pm standard, 9pm on Thursdays).

Verdict: A fraction overpriced for their value, but definitely one sweet cookie to enjoy in your own sweet time.
(Aside: I'm still composing this post while nibbling away at one of them =P)

Ladurée on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. الان يقدم لك موقع المسافر افضل سفريات في جميع انحاء العالم باقل الاسعار و اقل التكاليف حيق من خلال الهاتف يمكنك حجز تذاكر الطيران كما يوفر لك كود خصم سنتربوينت ملابس حديثي الولاده باكبر نسبة تخفيض و يمتلك المتجر كافة منتجات الاطفال و ايضا يمكنك الحصول علي افضل عطور و روائح من متجر غوالي باقل الاسعار و ايضا يقدم لك كود خصم سيفي اشيك ملابس تناسب جميع الفئات باكبر تخفيضات .

    ReplyDelete